The Democrats Abroad UK's Tax Committee is sponsoring a live Zoom webinar this Wednesday (Nov. 30), on the topic of accessing Social Security and Medicare benefits from abroad, if you happen to be American.
The webinar is scheduled to take place from 6:30pm to 7:30pm UK time (7:30pm to 8:30pm European time, 1:30 to 2:30pm Eastern Standard Time), according to a notice posted on the Democrats Abroad's website.
Those who can't view the webinar live may be able to view a recording of it later, according to the DAUK notice. Those wishing to do so should "RSVP for the event anyway, to get an email with the link to the recording afterward," the DAUK notice adds.
According to the Democrats Abroad announcement, some American expats don't even know that they're eligible to receive Social Security and Medicare benefits while living abroad, while others have questions about how to go about accessing them.
Answering such questions (and others) during the hour-long webinar will be Jennifer Hershey, who works for U.S. government's Federal Benefits Unit, which in the UK is based in the American Embassy in London.
While the focus of the webinar will be on U.S. expats living in the UK – a fact that has been clearly stated in the event's materials since it was first announced – a spokesperson for the DAUK's Tax Committee said that it had received "a lot of questions for other countries," and that Hershey would therefore "do her best to answer" these, to the extent that she is able to.
Among the topics Hershey is expected to address will be:
* Who is eligible for Social Security benefits in the UK
* What Medicare benefits Americans in the UK can access
* Other federal benefits expats may be eligible to receive
"This webinar is for you if you are retired; disabled; a child of a retired or disabled U.S. parent; a widow; are curious [as to] what kind of benefits are available for Americans abroad; or just want to be aware of what benefits you could be eligible for in the future," the Democrats Abroad statement adds.
For more information and to register, click here.
- Tax and financial planning webinars, podcasts & events on offer during April 2022
- Latest tax and financial planning webinars, podcasts & events on offer
- AXFNJ Podcast: John Richardson and Virginia La Torre Jeker address common renunciation concerns
- Dems Abroad to host webinar on Social Security benefits available for Americans resident outside U.S.
- Nine additional speakers added to DAUK Tax Day line-up